Saturday 7 November 2015

Angela's Ashes ( 1999 )










A distraught young family make the long journey from America back to Ireland to discover it is much worse than when they left.





Starring Emily Watson and Robert Carlyle.

Written by Frank McCourt ( Book ), Laura Jones (Screenplay) and Alan Parker (Screenplay).

Directed by Alan Parker.





This is an incredibly touching and well acted movie. I was especially impressed with the young actors. They always say never to work with animals or children but I don't think I've ever watched a film with better acting performances from children.


As well as the terrific acting, the storyline is emotionally compelling and at times pretty hilarious. The location filming is superb and it is overall a brilliantly produced movie. It is nostalgic, heart warming and terrifying in equal measure.



I haven't read the original book yet but I have a feeling it's probably even better. I'll have to read it at some point.



Great film.



10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment