Thursday 19 November 2015

The Last Station ( 2009 )










   A biography of Leo Tolstoy as he struggles to balance 
                    his fame with his beliefs.





Starring Helen Mirren, James McAvoy, Christopher Plummer and Kerry Condon.


Written by Michael Hoffman (Screenplay) and Jay Parini (Novel).



Directed by Michael Hoffman.







This is one of those that I didn't really fancy because on paper it doesn't sound too thrilling.



But it's actually compelling stuff. The story of Tolstoy's final years is fascinating, beautifully told and perfectly cast. Helen Mirren, Christopher Plummer and James McAvoy deliver stellar performances.

I have never read anything by Leo Tolstoy so I wasn't sure whether this movie would resonate with me in any way, but it's actually one of the best I've seen in recent weeks. I love the way Michael Hoffman weaves a love story into the mix and it works perfectly.





Enjoyed. Not sure if I'm ready for war and peace yet! How long is it?




10/10













No comments:

Post a Comment