Saturday 21 November 2015

Changeling ( 2008 )













A mother is reunited with her missing child but she is convinced 
               he is an imposter.





Starring Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich. Written by J Michael Straczynski.


Directed by Clint Eastwood.





When I first read the premise of this I was drawn in. It sounded like it would be an interesting movie, especially as it was based on a true story.



Sadly though I found whole thing distinctly average.



The first thing that struck me was how lacklustre the acting performances were. Angelina Jolie was so robotic it felt like she was doing a terrible impression of Joan Collins all the way through the movie. And as for John Malkovich, I just wanted to poke him with a large stick to make sure he was still breathing.


The whole production was dull and pretty lifeless. I wasn't surprised at all to get the to end credits to realize that it was directed and part produced by Clint Eastwood. He was a fantastic actor but maybe that doesn't always mean you will become a brilliant director? I'll have to watch more of his movies to find out.



Only a few positive things I can say about Changeling.




I really liked the exterior shots of LA in the twenties. I loved seeing all the old cars and trams floating about. So a big credit to whoever designed that. Also the only acting performance with any real life in it was Jason Butler Harner who sadly only appeared towards the end. His performance as Gordon Northcott was the film's saving grace. A bright light in a very dark and gloomy tunnel!






6/10




















No comments:

Post a Comment