Thursday 3 December 2015

Breaking The Waves (1996)











        A paralyzed man asks his wife to do him one favour. 
                              To find a new lover.





Starring Emily Watson, Stellan Skarsgard and Katrin Cartlidge.


Written by Lars Von Trier, Peter Asmussen and David Pirie.



Directed by Lars Von Trier.







A totally absorbing movie.




I liked everything about it from the unbelievably good acting performance by Emily Watson to the location filming, cinematography and well crafted plot. There's something old school about this one, an old fashioned movie without all the bells and whistles that spoil some films. The haunting remote location filming adds to the emotional, dark and at times, humorous story.

It's a long one and maybe a bit too long and there are a couple of plot holes that don't really ruin this great movie. For example the hospital in the story seems to have only one Doctor who is responsible for life saving surgery and also mental health reviews and probably everything else and the sister of the main female lead seems at times to be the only nurse in the hospital.





But overall this is a big fat ten out of ten for me. A wonderfully emotional roller coaster of a movie that covers everything from love to heartbreak to religious bigotry.


On a sad note I was trying to work out where I'd seen the young woman ( Katrin Cartlidge) who plays the sister in the movie and now I can only guess I remember her from Brookside, which I watched on and off during the eighties. I was shocked and saddened to learn that this talented and beautiful actress died a few years after filming this. Such a shame. I'm sure she would have gone on to achieve a lot more in acting and directing.






10/10






No comments:

Post a Comment