Monday 21 December 2015

Shutter Island (2010)










         Two cops visit a hospital for the criminally insane to investigate a disappearance.








Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo.


Written by Laeta Kalogridis ( Screenplay). Dennis Lehane (Novel).




Directed by Martin Scorsese.








This is one of the strangest movies I've ever seen.




At first I didn't like it at all. I couldn't stand the annoyingly loud background score and the artyfarty dream sequences. And right from the beginning I couldn't take to Mark Ruffalo's character, there was just something weird about him and his accent that I couldn't put my finger on.



But as the movie goes on it builds up to an amazing and shocking climax. I didn't see it coming although I had a feeling something wasn't quite right! Looking back, this one is one hell of a cleverly constructed script and I'm guessing we have the original novel to thank for that. What started out as an annoying movie actually turned out to be really good and I want to watch it all over again to (without spoiling anything) see what references I missed.





I still think it was a bit too artyfarty at times and that background music was too loud and annoying and there was something about the cinematography that I didn't quite like, but overall I think it actually worked.





9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment