Friday 18 December 2015

Cloverfield (2008)












A group of friends in New York set out on a rescue mission but the city is under attack.





Starring Lizzy Caplan, Jessica Lucas, T.J Miller, Michael Stahl-David, Mike Vogel

and Odette Annable.


Written by Drew Goddard.


Directed by Matt Reeves.






This is a movie that I've heard about but never got round to watching.



I wouldn't say it was a truly scary movie, I didn't find it too scary, I didn't even get creeped out even though I watched it alone with the lights out.


But it is really good. It gripped me from the beginning and it's real edge of your seat stuff. It's more exciting and entertaining than it is scary and it's a great twist on the old monster movies. It's like King Kong or Godzilla but an up to date and darker version. You just get to know the main characters enough to keep the whole thing going without getting bogged down with back story. You don't always know what is going on or which character is which but I guess that was intended because of the chaos that develops in the plot.



The whole thing is allegorical of 9/11 just like Godzilla was apparently allegorical of the Hiroshima attacks and even some of the outside shots were based on TV footage from the tragedy. For me this movie worked although it's probably not everybody's cup of tea. The monster was well designed and the cinematography was terrific.




A fun movie.



9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment