Friday 11 December 2015

Beyond The Hills (2012)









   A girl visits a convent to try and bring her friend home.



  
Starring Cosmina Stratan and Cristina Flutur.


Written by Cristian Mungiu. Inspired by the Non Fiction Novels of Tatiana Niculescu Bran.



Directed by Cristian Mungiu.






This is a dark and disturbing movie that would have been far better if it wasn't so slow paced.



It moves at a snails pace but maybe that's what Cristian Mungiu intended, after all I'm guessing that's how things flow in a convent. The story isn't bad and as far as I could tell ( this was a Romanian movie with English subtitles) the acting was okay without being incredible.

I liked the outside location cinematography but the indoor stuff looked a bit wobbly. This is an arty film and usually I like anything like this but for me this was too slow and bordering on boring. For me it lacked something but I'm not sure what. Maybe the relationship between the two main characters could have been explored more to make this more watchable? We only get a few suggestions of a love affair in the past between them both and so perhaps that's what this movie needed.




It does make you think. It's pretty much an anti religious movie and that's the message that came across clearly at the end.





7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment