Monday 1 August 2016

The Help ( 2011 )









 

               Change begins with a whisper



Starring Emma Stone, Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer

 

Screenplay by Tate Taylor.


Novel by Kathryn Stockett


                             Directed by Tate Taylor




Based on the bestselling book by Kathryn Stockett, this movie is powerfully evocative and really makes you think. It's not a fun movie, it's quite disturbing and pulls at your heart strings. The acting is top class all the way through and the attention to detail is superb. We are transported back in time and there's no way back until the final credit.


Having said all that I found it a little bit boring. For all the emotional impact, I like my movies to excite me in some way. And this didn't to be honest. For me it lacked a little bit of something to keep me hooked, to keep me on the edge of my seat. And there was one extra problem. I really needed subtitles. I couldn't understand half of what was being said. When you can't hear or understand every other line that's being spoken it doesn't help!


But I'm in the UK and that southern drawl ( or whatever it's called) was pretty hard to follow!



 

7.5/10 Mainly for the acting and the attention to detail.





No comments:

Post a Comment