Sunday 21 August 2016

The Breakfast Club ( 1985 )










A bunch of high school kids spend their Saturday in detention



Starring Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall and Ally Sheedy



Written and directed by John Hughes







This is another one that I somehow managed to miss during the eighties. But then again I was only thirteen so it was probably a little old for me.




I was expecting this to be just like St Elmo's Fire and, although I really liked that movie, this was surprisingly totally different. It really is a great movie. It's very much a typical eighties film but this one has that something extra. It's funny in all the right places but also grabs at your heart strings with a splash of drama in all the right places as well. It's surprisingly well acted and probably has to go down as one of the greatest teenage high school movies ever made.

A lot of the plaudits must go down to the terrific script and direction by John Hughes.




I wasn't expecting to like this film as much as I did. But it turns out I love it.

10/10




No comments:

Post a Comment