Monday 22 February 2016

Goodfellas ( 1990 )









"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster." -- Henry Hill, Brooklyn, N.Y. 1955.










Starring Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro.



Written by Nicholas Pileggi ( Novel) and Martin Scorsese.



Directed by Martin Scorsese.







First of all I'll say that this isn't normally the kind of movie I watch. In fact I think ( apart from Bugsy Malone which probably really doesn't count) this is the first Mobster movie I can remember watching, It's a proper guys movie. I'm a guy but I'm not that blokey. This is probably to movies what Top Gear is to TV.



It's quite long but it did keep my interest all the way. The acting performances are decent without there really being any stand out performances. Ray Liotta and Joe Pesci ( is he really not related in any way to Joe Paquale?) were probably the pick of the bunch amongst this star studded cast of big nosed very Italian looking actors.Robert De Niro didn't really play a big part and for most of the movie it felt like he was just going through the motions and doing a pretty decent impression of himself, if that makes sense.



The cinematography was good and there there lots of laughs, shocks, blood and twists along the way which I'd expect from a Scorsese film. The big problem from my point of view is that there isn't much of a plot. It's very artsy but there isn't much of a plot to keep me that interested. And I prefer a plot to grab hold of. That's probably because its a true story and they didn't want to make up too much stuff in case they offended the wrong people. I mean would you want to piss off the mob?








Overall this is a decent movie if you like this kind of thing. It's not really my kind of thing but it's still worthy of an 8 out of 10.









No comments:

Post a Comment